CAMP NELSON

The US Army established Camp Nelson as a fortified supply depot in April 1863. Over the next 3 years the site evolved into a recruitment and training center for black troops and a refugee camp for their families.

Over 10,000 African American men enlisted or were trained at Camp Nelson, making it one of the largest recruiting centers for Black soldiers during the Civil War. These men were organized into eight U.S. Troop regiments, many escaped slavery to join the Union Army at the camp

Oliver Perry house built around 1850 was confiscated by the Union army and used as a base of operations from 1863-1866. It is the only house remaining of the 3,000 that were part of the original camp.

These bunk beds actually held 4 people, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom.

There are many Civil war stories about families fighting on opposite sides.

National cemetery

Hard to disagree with this.

The army did not have a clear policy for refugees since they were not covered by emancipation. They were allowed to establish a shanty village at Camp Nelson. Seven eviction orders were issued between July and November 1864 to rid the camp of refugee families. Ordered to leave, the women and children continually returned because they had nowhere else to go.

Since these orders were ineffective, on November 22–25, 1864, District Commander Speed S. Fry resorted to violence. He ordered soldiers to force 400 women and children onto wagons and escort them out of the camp. Fry ordered soldiers to torch the refugee huts. Temperatures that day were below freezing. The refugees suffered 102 deaths due to exposure and disease.

THANKS FOR VISTING, STEVE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *